Scotusblog Stat Pack Available

If you like data and charts, you will love this.  You can access the 2015 stat pack here.  All 50 pages thank you.  Some pretty fun stuff. The 9th Circuit was affirmed 2 times in 11 cases (plus one 4-4 ruling). Clarence Thomas wrote the most opinions by far – 39.  The next highest was Alito with 19.  Thomas wrote 18 dissenting opinions, the next highest was Sotomayor with 8.    Roberts wrote only six majority opinions, Thomas seven.  The high for majority opinions?  Kennedy with nine. There were 76 total cases resolved although 13 of those were “summary reversals.”  So 63 cases, of which 4 were “decided” 4-4 meaning the lower court ruling stands.   Kennedy voted with the majority 98% of the time.  Thomas was at the other end, i.e., with the majority only 72% of the time. There were only four cases decided 5-4.  That compares to 19 last year and 23 in 2012.  That is, of course, partially due to having only eight justices for about half the term.  Kennedy was in the majority on all four 5-4 cases. Ginsberg asked the first question 52% of the time.  Everyone else was the other 48%.

Leave a Reply


5 + one =